Friday, April 19, 2013

Geocaching

I'm new to geocaching but am finding it's a great outdoor activity my son and I can do together no matter where we are.  We recently took a trip to Japan, and there were even caches there!  It's a hobby that is going global, and now with smart phone apps available, you don't have to be an expert with a compass to have fun.

I logged on to the website www.geocaching.com to learn more about what it was and signed up for free.  If you're a beginner, this is a great place to start.  You can learn what a cache is and how you can participate.  Then I went to the itunes store to find an app that would work with my iphone.  I've talked to others who are using free apps for their phones that work just fine, but I paid for the one we are using.  I had no experience and I figured it out, so I know you can too.  Think of it as a treasure hunt using gps coordinates.  If you really want to know more, there's an official blog for geocaching, called Latitude 47.

If you're new to geocaching or want to meet others who are already looking for local caches, there's a weekend opportunity in conjunction with Earth Day.  Jackson Park is hosting a Cache-In Trash Out  (CITO) event.    This will be on Saturday 12:30- 3:30.  There will be gloves and trash bags provided for those cleaning up the park.  There were comments about standing water due to the amount of rain we've had lately, so you may want to dress for mud even if it's not raining.  Meet at the park pavilion at 12:30 to participate.  There will be some new caches planned and released before the event.

Estabrook Park will also host an event that day for Cache In Trash Out from 9-12.  See details at this link for geocaching.  Milwaukee River Keepers are supplying clean up items for this event.

I hope you'll try your hand at being a modern day treasure hunter and join the fun!  Below is a video put out for the CITO event, so you have an idea what it's all about.


Post a Comment